Andrew has been a practicing psychologist in the Geelong and Barwon community for more than thirty years with an ongoing interest in adolescent, children's and family services. He has worked primarily in community health, disability, mental health, rehabilitation and education services.
Andrew's psychological practises are framed around strength and skills based therapies.
Strength and skills based therapies build upon and enhance competency by utilising cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), interpersonal therapy and family based therapy methods.
What Can Strength and Skills Based Therapies Help With?
- These methods are most applicable to the issues listed below.
- High Prevalence Psychological Disorders, such as Anxiety and Depression
- Adolescent and Family Issues
- Children's Behavioural Problems
- Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) and Disability Issues
Outside of these areas, Andrew also has extensive experience in alcohol and drug counseling, educational and vocational assessment, planning and counseling, rehabilitation, work cover and return to work programs, and autism, ADD & ADHD.
How Do Strength and Skills Based Therapies Work?
Strength and skills based therapies emphasize the following framework.
- A holistic approach to presenting problems
- Empirically based assessment of strengths and deficits as well as therapy outcomes
- A client focussed approach to therapy
- Empowerment of clients
- Identification of and building upon clients and families strengths and skills
- Acquisition of adaptive skills to enhance personal functioning
- The mediation of re-adjustments in family relationships and social and cultural connectedness which are often necessary for long term, sustainable change
How Do I Book an Appointment with Andrew?